Monday, August 4, 2008

Wedding Bug, False Perceptions, Spending my Tuesdays with Morrie



As I was talking to my bff and the person that I am completely opposite of, but for some reason our friendship works and I don't question it, because I seriously have no idea what I would do without her in my life and how I would have ever made it through college without her and she knows way too much about me (and vice versa) that I fear if I ever made her mad she could let all the skeletons in my closet out, Chichi. We were talking about our random stuff and then we started talking about all the weddings we have to attend and who just got engaged. Well, clearly I must have missed the boat, train, airplane, station wagon and ever other form of transportation of the wedding stage. Personally, until I recently thought about it I NEVER once had the urge to get married anytime soon. (Yes, I def. want to get married to a wonderful man and have the standard 2.5 kids and a dog, yada yada yada, so on and so forth), but I wasn't considering it anytime soon, I was thinking in maybe ten years? Grant it maybe the fact, that I've never been in a serious relationship and I'm sick of the drunken pick up lines in the bar (Seriously, all you got is "Hi, I was staring at you from across the room and I thought you're pretty."..... ???? I mean come on! All, I'm looking for is a little witty sense of humor and some intellectual conversation, oh and some respect... I don't think that's too much to ask for! No, I don't care how much money you make. No, I don't care how much you drank during your last power hour. No, I don't care how much of a stud you think you are and I'm not looking for a one night stand... seriously it's nothing personal, I'm just not that girl... all right so enough of my whining about guys pick-up lines and guys in general as my friends know.... this could go on forever.....). Anyway, back to why I have never really put the thought into marriage... ah, yes, we covered, no serious relationship, guys ticking me off with bad pick-up lines, my friends say it's because I'm picky and non-trusting of guys and I need a guy to knock me on my booty. (That's their opinion not mine ;-) oh well and maybe my mom's opinion, who actually tells guys who are interested in me that I may appear sweet and charming, but I have an edge and can give them a run for their money. (Thanks, Mom)), oh and prob. another reason I've never thought about marriage is because I am very much so involved in my career. Oh, I know many women have said this before, but it's true and I've always made a secret promise to myself that I would never be married before the age of 25 or I would be a sell-out. I've always thought the perfect age to get married is between the age of 30 and 35. But lately, as I sit here in my early to mid twenties on my computer, facebook stalking my friends to see what's going on in their lives, I notice that a lot of people are getting engaged or married. What's the rush? I mean I imagine marriage to be great, but I also imagine it as a lot of work! It's not all sunshine and lollipops, it's a lot of responsibility and personally I REALLY DON'T want that right now. I like being single and just going and doing what I please, the only current down fall is that I am dateless to all these current weddings I must attend.... but I'll just eat lots of cake during the slow dances. I don't know, I guess I'm just confused, I thought people were getting married later in life, but clearly it isn't the case. Oh well, I do wish happiness and all of God's Blessings on the people who are getting married and I hope you've found the one person you can tolerate and love for the rest of your life. As Chichi put it last night on the phone, I'm waiting for the one that completes me. I guess, I'll wait with her, it's not so bad.



Another thing me and Chichi were discussing was how guys are the ones who seem to pushing the marriage card. I don't know about anyone else, but I grew up thinking that guys were afraid of commitment and marriage, and they always had to be forced into it, but clearly this isn't the case. I know a lot of relationships were the guys are pushing for marriage and the girls are the ones saying wait a second or in some cases the girls are elated. Apparently, from what I've observed guys are just as gunhoe about getting married as women. I was watching an interview the other night on television with one of my favorite actors (and completely handsome gentleman, even though he's older) Robert Redford. He was talking about filming "The Way We Were" with Barbra Streindstand and how much he loves romantic movies and being romantic.... ZAAAAA? I thought to myself. REALLY? I mean I absolutely loved the fact that he admitted to it, but I truly didn't believe that guys fell in love with a girl as much as she fell in love with him. But recent circumstances have made me believe, that guys can fall head over heels in love with a girl as she can for him..... all right now I feel like I have to watch the sappy romantic tearjerker movies that are a 5 hanky minimum.....





I started reading "Tuesdays with Morrie" this past week-end and I must say I'm truly enjoying it. It's reminding me of one of my favorite professors in college, who no matter what was going on in my life made me feel loved, accepted, and like I could conquer the world. I'm not very far in the book, around page 40, but it's really captivating, I have a feeling I'll be finishing it sometime this week. I also really loved "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by the same author Mitch Albom. I'm really liking the way he writes and I noticed that he has wrote some other books, none that I've heard of, but I'm tempted to read them. If anyone else has read any of his other books, I would love to here what you think.


So, now I have to go and check out facebook and see who else among the people I know have been bit by the wedding bug...

No comments: